Saturday, June 11, 2011

MEET AWESOME AUTHOR, REGAN TAYLOR

1. Regan, you are such a prolific writer. Tell us a little about your journey to publication and your first sale.

I feel like it’s pretty dull.  I was doing copy editing for a small press and got to know one of the authors, Jewell Adams.  Jewell was getting ready to do what she calls a kick butt week where you commit to doing 1,000 words a day for 7 days. She encouraged me to join with her group and I figured it would be fun to do – but never expected anything to come from it.  I kept going after that initial week and wrote my first book which the publisher I was doing the copy edits for signed.  I know I had a much easier time that most people and appreciate the help I had along the way.
2.    I know you have a full time job in addition to writing. How do you find time to write?

I will aim for 1,000 words a day on work days and between 2,000 and 3,000 on each of my weekend days.  It’s a discipline as well as something I do for myself.  I don’t have human children – my cats are pretty easy to take care of. They can be demanding, but don’t require as much one on one time so most days I have that hour or so for myself.
3. Do you have an upcoming release? How about sharing a blurb with us?
                                          
Yup! The Photograph is coming out with Awe-struck this month. I love this story mainly because it features one of my cats, MaiTai as one of the two heroes “Taister”. 

My heroine, Carrie, is an avid romance reader. She devours books like they are going out of style. She hasn’t had the best of luck in her own love life, but hope springs eternal – after all, that’s what the books say, right?

And then she meets the man of her dreams:  Would you brave time and space to be with the one you love?


4. Do you have a favorite genre?

I love both reading and writing time travels, particularly westerns. I know that the old west wasn’t the easiest time for women in particular, but there is still a certain romance to it.  With time travel you can go anywhere, anytime and meet anyone you want. You can also be in any genre you want by where you elect to go.


5. Most writers are avid readers. What are you reading right now?

I am! It changes pretty much every other day. I have an hour commute each way to work and despite having some fantastic “bus friends” (people I see pretty much every day on the bus who are all pretty social), I still have time to do quite a bit of reading. I’m fortunate in that I usually read 2-3 books a week. Most recently I read A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and am currently reading Adrienne Barbeau’s Vampyres of Hollywood.  Not my usual fare because Ms. Harkness writes fantasy with vampires, witches, deamons and ghosts and clearly Ms. Barbaeu’s is vampire. That said, Vampyres of Hollywood is a wonderfully witty, totally camp book that’s an easy read that has you smiling through it.
Thanks for having me! I look forward to talking to you again soon.

For more about Regan Taylor and her books, visit http://www.regantaylor.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview Regan and Marilee. Jewell is still a prolific author, isn't she? I need a bit of your discipline, Regan, I wish I could sit down and write a 1,000 words at will. Some days they come easily but others they just refuse :(
    Congratulations on your new book too!

    ReplyDelete